Frequently Asked Questions
Here at Love for Pilates we want to provide as much information as possible for you to gain the best work-out possible.
If you do not find your question answered here please feel free to contact us!
What is a reformer?
A reformer is a Pilates apparatus that was designed by Joseph Pilates and is an amazingly elegant machine. The reformer provides finely tuned exercise resistance that allows one to work very precisely to develop good alignment, core strength, and flexibility. There are many different types of reformers.
At Love for Pilates we showcase Balanced Body equipment and use a more fitness based style of reformer called the Allegro and the Allegra 2. All of our classes are performed on and around the reformer using various props and also a pilates apparatus called the Wunda Chair.
The height of the foot-bar is adjustable as well as the distance. There will be three- five notches on the side of the frame (depending on the reformer) that will allow you to adjust the height of the foot-bar. Your instructor will help you figure out which placement is best for you. The springs provide resistance from the machine. The rest of the resistance is provided by your own body weight. The springs hook on the spring bar, and different springs can be unhooked to increase or decrease the resistance. The springs are color coded and on our machines, yellow is the lightest spring, then blue, then red being the heaviest. Many levels of resistance are achieved through varying combinations of the springs. The carriage is the part you put your body on and moves by pushing against the foot bar, or by pulling the straps or ropes at the other end of the reformer. The carriage glides back and forth along the inside of the frame, responding to the effort you exert and the amount of resistance set up by the springs. Reformer exercises can be done lying down, sitting, kneeling or standing on the carriage. Your instructor will tell you exact set up instructions for each individual exercise and which springs to use. It is advised to take a Reformer Level 1 class if you are new to Pilates or the reformer.
What is a group reformer class?
At Love for Pilates we offer dynamic pilates classes using a contemporary approach to classical pilates. You will see some of your favorite traditional pilates moves and may also experience some innovative, functional exercises to vary your workout. Each class is different which will consistently shock your muscles to help make change and keep you engaged and focused throughout your class. All classes start on the hour and will be 50 minutes long. You will have a certified Pilates instructor guiding you through your 50 minute workout explaining every exercise and how it needs to be executed. They will constantly remind you of your form and offer corrections when needed. Pilates grips socks are required for class. Please bring a pair or we have some at the studio for purchase.
Who can participate in pilates?
Pilates is appropriate for people of any age and fitness level. Pilates' unique approach to fitness allows any level, from a beginner all the way to an athlete, to set their goals and work on their individual needs. If you are pregnant please call the studio to inquire. We require prior pilates experience and a physician's note on file to take classes during your first trimester and recommend private sessions thereafter. For our group reformer classes we ask that children be at least 16 years of age and must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
What if I am under 18 years old?
As much as we would like to teach pilates to everyone and at any age we do cater to an adult environment. You must 18 years of age to attend classes, or at least 16 years of age with parental consent. We can cater to any age with private sessions since we must pay attention to very specific needs of a growing body.
What if I am pregnant?
First off - Congratulations!
We do encourage you to keep up your pilates routine throughout your pregnancy as the benefits are absolutely incredible during this amazing time for you. It is critically important to honor your body and all of the many specific changes occurring during this time and safety of mum and baby are of the utmost importance to us which is why we have our policy in place for private, one-on-one instruction after the first trimester.
We do offer a 10% discount on our private session rates for our mommies to be making our session rates as follows:
- Single Private Session $57.60
- 5 Private Sessions $274.50 ($54.90 per session)
- 10 Private sessions $504 ($50.40 per session)
How do I sign up?
It's simple! You will create an on-line profile here:
Love for Pilates On-Line Scheduler
Once you have an on-line profile you can then head to the on-line store to make a purchase. From there you reserve your classes, cancel your classes, keep track of your schedule, and have a running record of all classes attended, transaction history, receipts, etc.
A valid credit card must be on your profile with the studio in order to enroll in classes.
If you need further assistance please don't hesitate to contact the studio and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What should I purchase?
At Love for Pilates we have many pricing options to help you find the best fit for your needs. For each studio location we have 'Studio Specific' pricing and also offer 'All Studio' pricing for those who attend classes at more than one of our studio locations. We offer:
- Individual Classes - Our individual classes are purchased in different class amounts. You may purchase a single drop in class or purchase classes in bulk and reap the savings reward. Some of our individual classes have expiration dates so do pay attention to those.
- 4, 8, 12 Class Monthly Passes - these individual classes are a good way to hold yourself accountable since they do expire in a month. You either have 4 individual classes, 8 individual classes or 12 individual classes to use within the month starting from the date of purchase. If you happen to breeze through your classes before your month is over please feel free to re-purchase.
- Standard Class Packages - These individual classes are great for people who may have an erratic schedule, may find they travel in and out of town for extended periods of time, may live between two coast, etc.since the individual classes never expire and will always be there for you.
- Flash Sale Purchases - these individual classes are provided to you usually around the time of a holiday to say thank you for your hard work and dedication. Flash Sales are sold at a promotional rate and therefor have an expiration of usually 6 weeks from the date of purchase. The expiration date will be specified under the Flash Sales Terms and Conditions in the email so always be sure to read the terms and buy wisely. You are able to purchase 3 flash sales, per studio location so make sure you think you will be able to use all of your classes before the stated expiration date.
- ALL INDIVIDUAL CLASSES LISTED ABOVE ARE NOT GIFT CARDS. You can purchase gifts cards as well as individual classes but they work differently. Gift Cards are purchased to gift to someone else. Gift cards never expire and the value of a gift card can be used toward any purchase, even if a specified purchase was paid for initially. Once the gift card has been redeemed and a purchase has been activated, the classes will expire just like any other classes purchased (unless a Standard Class Package was purchases as they never expire). If you would like to buy a gift card, please click HERE.
- Unlike gift cards, any form of individual class purchase (listed above) is personal to the user. Unfortunately, classes are non-transferable meaning you cannot give your classes to another as a gift (i.e. convey ownership) and the classes do expire based on the purchase that was made. The expiration dates are posted in the descriptions of the classes or series of classes. If, however, you have a major emergency and cannot make it in, just give us a call, or e-mail us and we can help.
- Unlimited Monthly Passes - These are structured for those who can't get enough and would like to take an individual class everyday and it can be done! If you find yourself taking at least 4 classes a week then this may be the option for you. This is a pay-as-you-go option and you are able to take one class a day at any of our studio locations. $10 add-on classes can be purchased if you are feeling daring and want to double up in one day. Unlimited Monthly Passes do expire in one month from the date of purchase. If you would like to start your pass on a specific date in the future just give us a call or email us and we can assist.
- Memberships - Memberships are structured exactly like our Unlimited Monthly Passes but are priced at a discount since you are committing to work out with us for a certain length of time. We have 3 membership options:
- Bronze - 3 month commitment, deducted monthly for 3 months
- Silver - 6 month commitment, deducted monthly for 6 months
- Gold - 12 month commitment, deducted monthly for 12 months
Will I need to fill out paperwork for my first Pilates class?
Yes! There is an intake form for you to fill out upon arrival of your first Pilates class. We want to know as much information as we can to make your Pilates experience personal and pin-pointed to your specific goals. Please arrive 10 minutes early to your first class to allow enough time to fill out your intake form.
What is one to wear?
Comfortable, form fitting exercise clothes are best. Over sized clothes make it difficult for the instructor to observe your body during the workout. Dress comfortably so that your movement is free, but try not to wear clothing that is too loose fitting as you will be performing exercises that could cause a loose shirt to drift up the torso or loose shorts to fall open at the hip. Men - please be advised that you are lying down and shorts do ride up so please wear an under layer. It's best to wear pants that are not draping over your feet and we do require special socks with grip for safety and hygienic purposes. If you do not have a pair of grip socks we offer them for sale at the studio.
How often can I take class?
In 10 sessions you will feel a difference, in 20 sessions you will see a difference and in 30 sessions you will have a whole new body."- Joseph Pilates. With any form of exercise, consistency is key. In the beginning, your body is learning a lot of new information and your mind-body connection is being established. The optimal recommendation is 2-3 times per week, or every other day. Giving your body a day to rest and recover in between is a good idea. However, once you get the hang of it, you could do pilates everyday as your choice of workout! Take advantage of our membership!
Will I be sore from class?
That depends on your body awareness and fitness levels. A Pilates workout will target the slow twitch muscle fibers, which are more efficient at using oxygen to generate more fuel (known as ATP) for continuous, extended muscle contractions over a long time. They fire more slowly than fast twitch fibers and can go for a long time before they fatigue. Therefore, there are many times you may not feel that sore! Pilates leaves you energized and while you may experience some soreness as your body experiences changes, you will not experience debilitating soreness.
What results can I expect from taking classes at Love for Pilates?
Our classes are designed for total body conditioning which will help you reshape your body. Using spring resistant plus the weight of your own body, the system helps to tone your muscles and elongate areas such as the waistline and upper thighs and arms. Adding pilates to a healthy diet and regular cardiovascular exercise can dramatically change your overall appearance. You can expect an increase in flexibility, mobility, balance, improved posture and overall strength, as well as a decrease in back pain/other general body pains.
What are your studio policies?
- Group classes require 12 hours notice for cancellation.
- Classes cancelled after the 12 hour cancellation period has expired result in a Late Cancel and a loss of class credit.
- No-Shows will result in a $20.00 fee charged to your account, but the class credit will remain in your account.
- Private and semi-private sessions require a 24 hour cancellation notice.
- Please contact the studio if you have any concerns or questions regarding our policies.
- A valid credit card must be on your profile with the studio in order to enroll in class.
- The Unlimited Monthly Pass, Gold Membership & Silver Membership are limited to one class per day per client.
- Single class purchases and Monthly Pass purchases expire 30 days from date of purchase.
- A month is defined as 30 consecutive days.
- Monthly allotted classes do not “roll over” one month to the next.
- Payments are non refundable and all purchases including single classes, class packages, monthly passes and memberships are non transferable.
How can I purchase a gift card for someone?
Gifts card purchases are a great gift for anyone you care about and are best made at our on-line store so you will be able to customize your purchase having the following capabilities:
- Address your recipient
- Add a customized message and picture
- Schedule a specific day to email the gift card
- Choose to print the gift card instead of emailing it over to the recipient
Gift cards never expire and the value of a gift card can be used toward any purchase, even if a specified purchase was paid for initially. Once the gift card has been redeemed and a purchase has been activated, the classes will expire just like any other classes purchased (unless a Standard Class Package was purchases as they never expire).
Please click HERE to purchase your gift card today!
Are class package purchases different from gift cards?
Unlike gift cards, any form of individual class purchase is personal to the purchaser/user. On-line purchases are made under your specific profile, with your specific log-in information and are meant for you to use. Unfortunately, classes are non-transferable meaning you cannot give your classes to another as a gift (i.e. convey ownership) and the classes do expire based on the purchase that was made. The expiration dates are posted in the descriptions of the classes or series of classes. If, however, you have a major emergency and cannot make it in, just give us a call, or e-mail us and we can help.
You can purchase gifts cards as well as individual classes but they work differently. Gift Cards are purchased to gift to someone else. Gift cards never expire and the value of a gift card can be used toward any purchase, even if a specified purchase was paid for initially. Once the gift card has been redeemed and a purchase has been activated, the classes will expire just like any other classes purchased (unless a Standard Class Package was purchases as they never expire). If you would like to buy a gift card, please click HERE.
Can I gift one of my classes to a friend?
Unfortunately, no. You cannot sell or transfer your class to someone else.
Can I redeem a class and get cash back?
Classes are non-refundable and when you purchase a class, you are only entitled to use that class to reserve a spot in a particular studio at a particular time. You cannot redeem your class for cash or any other studio purchases (i.e. grip socks).